About Me

My photo
Halloo! When I found out I could go to med school with a Humanities degree with an Ethnomusicology emphasis, I almost peed myself. Here's to me holding it in.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Annotated Source


Mozart in Mirrorshades: Ethnomusicology, Technology, and the Politics of Representation Author(s): René T. A. Lysloff
Reviewed work(s):
Source: Ethnomusicology, Vol. 41, No. 2, Special Issue: Issues in Ethnomusicology (Spring - Summer, 1997), pp. 206-219
Published by:
University of Illinois Press on behalf of Society for Ethnomusicology
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/852603 .
Accessed: 05/03/2012 02:19

I was wondering about the effects of the technology I will be using to record the music in Bylakuppe, and I  came across this sweet article from 97. It uses a sci-fi story, "Mozart in Mirrorshades," to illustrate a few ideas about media tech and ethnomusicology. This sums up the conclusions, "Thus, ethnomusicologists might learn several lessons from the story: (1) that the "native"is not necessarily a naive and passive recipient of media technology; (2) that media technology may be especially empowering for those people with little or no political and economic power; (3) that people may use media technology in radically new and surprising ways, and infuse it with meanings specific to such use; and (4) the social meanings associ- ated with particular technologies often change as these technologies traverse cultural boundaries." (p.217)



No comments:

Post a Comment