About Me

My photo
Halloo! When I found out I could go to med school with a Humanities degree with an Ethnomusicology emphasis, I almost peed myself. Here's to me holding it in.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Annotated Source

Hooray for overlapping coursework! We read this as an assignment in my world music class.

Stone: Theory for Ethnomusicology pp. 12-16 and 18-22


Stone goes over the ideas of method, participant-observation, technique, assumptions, hypotheses/research questions, and study object. This is particularly useful, as she is approaching the ethnographic terms from a specifically ethnomusicological standpoint. 


Some of the take-aways include rethinking my approach to my hypothesis (I think I should change it into a research question - I really don't know what I will find in Bylakuppe, so it might be more useful to acknowledge that ambiguity), reinforcing my plan to learn music as my central research method (really, the more I think about it, the "research" is a bunch of dookie - I honestly just want to learn music and Buddhist philosophy and have fun with it. The research part is to fulfill the rather inane requirements of the program, so I picked an area that I am interested in but would rather not worry about - maybe a drastic, last-minute reworking of the project is in order? Hmm... I've heard that I can just do that in the field, so I'll go with it for now), and refining and broadening my study object (I'm rethinking what I mean by 'youth,' and maybe the truth is that I do want to look just at 18-24 year olds, and anybody younger or older will just be incidental to the core of the project).


Anywho, it was good to know that I'm not alone. Thanks, Sister Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment